[Gllug] NHS opt out

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 27 00:16:44 UTC 2007

John G Walker wrote:

> A chimera is a mythological creature made out of the parts of two or
> more animals. I can't quite see how that's relevant to the discussion,
> so I think you've got some other word in mind,

That's only one of several definitions of the word, in different fields.
In genetics, a chimera is a creature which has multiple genetically
distinct cellular populations:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_%28genetics%29

This can happen as a result of fusion of twins at a very early stage of
development. The greek Chimera of legend is the original source of the
word, though no longer its only use.

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk