[Gllug] BBC: Battle of the operating systems

Thomi Richards thomir at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 11:45:24 UTC 2007

On 1/27/07, Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:

> It's better than that.  A large proportion of people who use computers
> & the internet at all have Linux running at home (although they won't
> be aware of it), and almost every one of them uses Google or another
> online service built around it.

Sorry, but IMO this is a typical case of changing the numbers to say
what you want... I had assumed that we were talking about *desktop*
market share... at least, that's what *I* was talking about... Sure,
it's cool that my router runs Linux, and yeah, it's nice that many web
servers run LAMP setups.... but in the context of this conversation,
who cares?

Lies, damn lies, and statistics...

If you're not aware that you're running Linux, you could be running
anything... just think.. thousands (millions? billions?) of people are
running Linux at home and don't even know it! When asked what
operating system they use, they'll still reply "windows".
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk