[Gllug] Re: EU council streaming petition

Christopher Currie ccurrie at usa.net
Mon Jan 1 21:30:19 UTC 2007

OnMon, 01 Jan 2007 17:32:4 "Martin A. Brooks" <martin at hinterlands.org> wrote:

> salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
[snip]In the FAQ
> > they express a really strange opinion about this: 'The live streaming
> > media service of the Council of the European Union can be viewed on
> > Microsoft Windows and Macintosh platforms. We cannot support Linux in a
> > legal way. So the answer is: No support for Linux.' An online petition
> > has been set up to create pressure to convince the EU council to change
> > its service to one that is platform independent.
>
> Kindly cease this bollocks. There's _nothing_ stopping you watching the
> stream with many Linux media players. I'm watching some _right now_
> using VLC for example.
>
> _They_ don't _provide support_ for people not using the approved
> players.

You appear to have missed the point. As a matter of principle and commom
sense, public data, produced for the record for public organisations, should
not be issued in closed or proprietary formats of any kind. The reasons
should not need spelling out.

Are you reading this with the approved eyes, by the way?

Christopher Currie
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk