[Gllug] ist that right that the Oyster card got RFID on it?

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jan 16 11:58:47 UTC 2007

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 11:04:25 +0000 "- Tethys" <tethys at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/16/07, John G Walker <johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Of course you can use your card. You're just charged four quid for
> > the 'unreconciled' journey,
>
> s/four/six/ according to the letter I got from them for doing just
> that. Personally, I think I *did* touch in at the start of my journey,
> but they claim otherwise, and there's little I can do about it. That's
> one of the real downsides of Oyster -- it's just there word against
> yours.
>
> Tet

It certainly is. I got a letter from them saying I hadn't touched
in/out and would be charged four pounds. I then realised that they had,
somehow, omitted two journeys of two pounds each. Since we seemed to be
even I thought it best not to rock the boat by complaining.

Incidentally, if you register on the internet you can see the
algorithm that they use to charge for journeys. When you touch in at a
tube station you get charged four pounds (the maximum for any tube
journey). When you touch out, you get a rebate of however much you're
owed. If you don't touch out (or if the system doesn't read your card,
or the transaction isn't recorded, or whatever) then you don't get the
rebate.

Simple, but open to error IMHO,

--
 All the best,