[Gllug] Clock running at double speed!

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 20 19:28:30 UTC 2007

On Sat 20 Jan, John Winters wrote:

> I've just been struggling with an odd problem on an old computer.
> (Sorry - I keep recycling these things for worthy causes.)
>
> The computer as a whole seems to work fine, but the clock drifts at an
> astonishing rate.  It's running Debian Sarge, with a 2.6.18 kernel and
> if I clock-watch on the desktop the clock seems to run at exactly twice
> the correct rate.  That is, every second it updates but the time
> increases by 2 seconds, like this:
>
> 17:05:02
> 17:05:04
> 17:05:06
>
> etc.

   I have not heard of that problem before, but I would look in the BIOS. Is
it the type of motherboard with a plug-in DIL BIOS with its own internal
battery? It could have been replaced with the wrong type. I would expect the
type with a separate round Lithium battery to just stop as the battery
fails. NTP should only do incremental changes to give fine corrections.

--
Chris Bell