[Gllug] ist that right that the Oyster card got RFID on it?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Jan 18 00:06:31 UTC 2007

On 16 Jan 2007, Tethys outgrape:
> Nix writes:
>>There are also efficiency concerns. Ticket gates using the old cardboard
>>tickets are *slower* than Oyster (about twice as slow by my guesstimates,
> and much slower when a ticket fails scanning).
>
> You think so? By my observation, I'd say the opposite is true. Plus
> Oyster cards fail to scan *far* more frequently than paper tickets.

The inverse is definitely true for long-term season tickets. I had to
replace my paper season ticket at least monthly because the damned
ticket machines ate them up so often, wasting my time and that of
the long-suffering station cashiers.

And at rush hour (pre-Oyster), most of the people passing through the
gates would be on long-term season tickets of one kind or
another. Efficiency-maximization/capacity-maximization stuff on the tube
is done with two times in mind: the times around major public holidays,
and rush hour. This speeds up rush hour. Thus it's good, from their POV.

--
`The serial comma, however, is correct and proper, and abandoning it will
surely lead to chaos, anarchy, rioting in the streets, the Terrorists