[Gllug] ist that right that the Oyster card got RFID on it?

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 13:59:14 UTC 2007

On 1/16/07, John G Walker <johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> > Ah well, now there's a point.  Why are the cash fares so expensive
> > now?
>
> Because they have to employ people to collect and process them. Oyster
> cards are all about replacing workers with machines.

Errr... no. Oyster cards are intended to replace paper tickets. Paper
tickets have been issued and read by machines on the tube for many
years now, with no need to for human intervention. I can't see any
real extra overhead of continuing to use paper tickets, other than the
cost of the physical tickets themselves -- which I suspect is dwarfed
by the cost of installing and running the Oyster system anyway.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk