[Gllug] ADSL2 router help / recomendation

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Jan 26 18:46:07 UTC 2007

On 24 Jan 2007, Chris Bell stated:
> On Wed 24 Jan, Nix wrote:
>
>> My ADSL router only has a valid (nonroutable) IP address because I want
>> to be able to get to its configuration interface from within the
>> firewall. I could remove that and it would work perfectly well.
[...]
>    I assumed that there must be some IP address allocated to the modem
> because it needs to adjust its operation to suit line conditions and the BT
> exchange equipment. Can it work without an address, or has the system been
> designed to "just work"?

That's all ATM-layer stuff: it shouldn't need an IP address for that. I
very much doubt it needs one to set up the PPP connection either, or,
rather, it gets *told* what that address is by the ISP's home gateway
server. It might temporarily adopt that address for an instant before
my system DHCPs off it and it starts just passing all traffic through,
but I can't see how that affects me in any way :)

--
`The serial comma, however, is correct and proper, and abandoning it will
surely lead to chaos, anarchy, rioting in the streets, the Terrorists