[Gllug] SATA - new drives and old BIOSes not compatible?

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jan 20 11:06:50 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 10:04 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:

>    Larger capacity drives as used for long term continuous loop recording
> could overheat and fail early if enclosed. Motion sensitive recording does
> not always work, I have a camera that points towards my parked car and there
> is continuous traffic in the background.

Have you not considered a "watch keeper" circuit?  Originally designed
to wake up dozing security guards, it's a simple bit of electronics that
monitors the luminance of a very small part of the picture - a change
sets off the alarm or starts the recorder.  Normally you'd set it up to
monitor a doorway or whatever, but you could just examine the car alone
and ignore the traffic.

>  (The police have four clear
> recordings of someone who lives about 10 houses away vandalising cars, but
> the person was never arrested).

That's not a surprise!  Fining motorists for minor infractions of
unrealistic speed limits is easier than actually doing any real police
work.

Chris