[Gllug] UKFSN

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Fri Jan 19 13:44:56 UTC 2007

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:

> The article mentions some 7,000 euros going to one guy. Personally, I
> could live reasonably well for six months on that amount of money.

If the article accurately reports it will state the amount is £4680 paid
over 1 year in monthly payments.

If you could live on the money for six months it is about half of what you
would need to live on. You would still be 50% short of what you need.

> Except that many students have part time jobs working bars and so on.

And the point of the programme is to enable them to avoid doing this so as
to be able to focus on their studies and on contributions to Free Software
projects.

> Yeah, if you are not a student, you can get a job - except that then you
> have no/little time to work on a Free Software project. In fact, the only
> way I have been able to work on my own projects was by saving money myself
> and then living off that. Well, that money has now run out, so I guess
> it's the end of my project.
>
> Also in my own case, when I have tried to apply for jobs, I got one of two
>
> a) you have been out of work for too long, your skills are out of date
> b) we don't think you will stay here very long, since you obviously prefer
> working on a Free Software project (which is probably true)
>
> so working on a FOSS project has actually harmed my employability.

Yes, I understand that - it was my own experience and I expect that if I
tried to return to the employment market I would be in a very poor
position.

Have you looked at options such as consultancy and contracting? They are
often better suited to people like us.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98