[Gllug] TFT Monitors

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 12 06:30:14 UTC 2007

Russell Howe wrote:

> Madwifi (driver for the Atheros 802.11g chips).
>
> Excerpt from the makefile:
>
> (obj)/hal.o:
>         {UUDECODE} ${HAL}/public/${TARGET}.hal.o.uu

As someone with an Atheros card built into my laptop, I'm hoping that
the SFLC's statement on the ar5k project will mean that we'll soon get a
free fork of MadWifi. I'm currently using ndiswrapper for the card, as
last time I used MadWifi it locked up regularly in ad-hoc mode, and the
NDIS driver at least works. I head MadWifi's ad-hoc support is better
now, but as I'd just be trading one binary module for another, I haven't
got around to looking at it again.

> Theo de Raadt might grate at times, but OpenBSD's stance on binary
> blobs is commendable and one I'd wholeheartedly support.

Yes - I find a bit depressing that OpenBSD is doing more for free
drivers than Linux is. Their wireless support in particular, is excellent.

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk