[Gllug] EU council streaming petition

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Tue Jan 2 11:30:07 UTC 2007

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007, Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> Nope. Fair use, despite what our American friends may have you believe.
> The DMCA does not apply in Europe.

I'm afraid you are wrong. There is no such thing as a fair use exemption
in the UK - that is a US specific thing.

> Microsoft can threaten anyone with a lawsuit any time they want, as can I.

But you don't have a history of bringing the suits and you don't have
billions in the bank with which to tie people up in courts they cannot
afford.

MS exec's have already started indicating that they will soon look to
using their patent portfolio in the war against Free Software competition.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98