[Gllug] scsi host adaptor

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Jan 30 12:38:59 UTC 2007

I want to put a new box together with a DAT tape drive.
A freecom DAT 72 looks nice, it has a UltraWide LVD & single ended (SCSI) interface.

So: I am trying to source a SCSI host adaptor that is known to work with Linux
I am having a devil of a job relating what the kernel config talks about with
adaptec/... product names and then trying to find someone who will sell such a
thing at a decent price.
I don't need RAID or anything like that - just something to hang the DAT drive off.
(I will be running CentOS 4 [aka Red Hat Enterprise]).

I have also seen DAT drives that have USB-2 interfaces ... anyone know how well/bad
they perform ? USB-2 is supposed to be 480 Mb/s, the tape drive is rated at
'sustained burst 3MB/s'.
If I could reliably use USB it would solve my problem.

The box will have SATA disk drives.

I really feel that I should have been able to answer this by google/... -- but have
wasted quite a lot of time stuck in twisty turny passages all the same :-(

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/