[Gllug] EU council streaming petition

Kristian Rink kristian at zimmer428.net
Mon Jan 1 18:50:53 UTC 2007

Martin A. Brooks schrieb:

> Kindly cease this bollocks. There's _nothing_ stopping you watching the
> stream with many Linux media players. I'm watching some _right now_
> using VLC for example.

Being just a calm lurker on this list but also one who already signed
this petition, just my €0.02 on that: Indeed, technically it works. But
it doesn't legally work, because (for what I have seen so far) the
stream uses a proprietary codec. This, in itself, is bad, both given the
fact that Microsoft still are under EC fire because of the
anti-competition thing, and because whatever happens there is paid with
money brought up by European citizen. And maybe just because of that,
bringing up a solution saying "We only support MS-Windows / Macintosh"
to me simply is not acceptable. There are "free" codecs and technologies
available for that, and building the whole streaming thing using
non-discriminatory technology would definitely be possible. In "theory",
every European citizen should be capable of accessing this content, no
matter which operating system, which player, ... (s)he is running. What
about accessing these sources from *BSD? Or OpenSolaris? Or HP-UX, for
that matters?

I am almost sure this petition will not have any meaningful effect, but
I think it's worth at least trying.

Cheers,
Kris

--