[Gllug] Mounting removable media

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Jan 9 20:21:32 UTC 2007

On 3 Jan 2007, tethys at gmail.com stated:
> mount removable media. Ideally, I'd be able to do it solely via udev,
> and indeed the udev FAQ even shows a crude way of doing it by volume
> label. But that requires knowing the volume label in advance. I'd like
> to have it sufficiently generic that I can plug in *any* card and have
> ti do the right thing. Even the udev FAQ tells me I should be using
> HAL :-(

What? You can do it quite easily with an add action RUN= that runs a
shell script that mkdirs a suitable directory and runs mount (and a
corresponding remove action that unmounts and rmdirs).

(disclaimer: I don't actually do this myself because right now my only
removable device is an iPod, which it is often desirable to plug into
the USB port without mounting.)

--
`He accused the FSF of being "something of a hypocrit", which
 shows that he neither understands hypocrisy nor can spell.'