[Gllug] EU council streaming petition

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jan 1 23:20:41 UTC 2007

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 23:09:26 +0000 "Martin A. Brooks"
<martin at hinterlands.org> wrote:

> Matthew East wrote:
> >> ey're not, nor is there any intention to do so, nor has anyone
> >> _suggested_ there should be.  Don't base your arguments on "well
> >> what if...?" scenarios.
> >>

> > You've just demonstrated a fundamental lack of understanding on what
> > free software is about. The whole point is that we (subscribers to
> > this list?) who believe in free software do so because we believe
> > that we should have the right to control our computer, rather than
> > relying on the whim of a company which produces a particular
> > product.
>
> We're not talking about software. We're talking about an objection to
> publicly funded AV streams only being available in a disagreeable
> format.  One that's perfectly decodeable on the platform in question.

That's an inaccurate formulation. The last sentence should read "One
that's - by chance - perfectly decodeable on the platform in question."

The phrase "by chance" is important. I think, from my reading of the
thread so far, that people are upset because it's not readable by
intention. That's the principle involved, not whether or not we've been
lucky on this occasion and how long our luck will last,

--
 All the best,
 John