[Gllug] File permissions and umask on Ubuntu (and I think probably, Debian)

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat Jan 6 18:05:57 UTC 2007

Progga wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 02:48:34PM +0000, John Winters wrote:
>> I'd still be interested if anyone knows how to change the global umask
>> for users in Ubuntu or Debian though.
>
> This doesn't speak about umask but still might be relevant-
> 	http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/Debian/2005-07/2641.html

Not only not relevant I'm afraid, but the advice given by the poster
there is (AFAICS) completely wrong.  The sticky bit which he advocates
setting *prevents* people other than the creator modifying a file, which
is the opposite of what the person to whom he was responding asked for.

I have managed to find something relevant, but I still haven't solved my
problem.

This page:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktopHowTo

describes how to configure things to set umask correctly using
libpam-umask and I've done what it says.  This has had the desired
effect on text mode logins, but not on Gnome sessions invoked through
gdm.  I've tested putting different settings in
/etc/pam.d/common-session and they come through correctly in an
old-fashioned login, but every time I login through gdm I get 0022,
regardless of what I asked for.

Still investigating.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk