[Gllug] NTL + Wireless network problems

Alex Smith asmith at asmhosting.com
Mon Jan 8 23:44:15 UTC 2007

>As a ISP NTL is not Bad , But most of the time thay deliver bad modem
device
>as my experience,check ur cabel modem ,is it working properlly or not .

Aside from their caching... Anywho's not here to say what their own techies
say :) - A modem issue would affect more than just the one machine which is
why I pointed fingers at that [machine] rather than the setup.

Has anything (aside from the wireless settings) in general been changed on
the machine? Proxy settings and the like I'm thinking here. Is it every app
that shows slow down on the internet (e.g. if you do an update on the distro
does that go slow as well). Also just to rule out it being the modem, what
happens if you try pinging out to another location (say bbc.co.uk or
google.co.uk)?

I remember one person that had slow internet for months, BT couldn't work
out what it was and it turned out that someone had set it to use a public
and congested open proxy.... Rare though, but best to ask!

Alex