[Gllug] OSS Spam filtering, virus scanning email solutions

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 4 11:16:14 UTC 2007

On Thu 04 Jan, John G Walker wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 23:30:11 +0000 (GMT) Chris Bell
> <chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >  Are you really unable to appreciate that the journalists may not
> > have any other option than to send mail from wherever they are
> > working? It may not be a known address, just the best under the
> > circumstances. I have not been a news reporter, but I have worked as
> > member of a team getting short notice live programmes, and I have
> > been to places in this country where we have needed to beg facilities
> > from anyone nearby to get the programmes back on time. We had
> > fly-away kit for people sent out to the other side of the world, but
> > even that could not always be relied on, depending on the terrain or
> > location.
>
> Perfectly able to appreciate the conditions journalists may have to
> work under. But I ask again: what has this to do with me
> pointing out the use of spam blockers as an anti-spam  strategy merely
> blocks the users in question from getting the emails they want.
>
> Or do you believe that, in some strange way, blocking the reports makes
> the journalists job easier?

   I do not seem to be the only one that took the original request to be for
suggestions to deal with a less than ideal situation.
   I take it to imply that some, possibly unrecognised, sending addresses
may be associated with ISPs that have a blanket spamblock listing applied.
Anti-virus and spam filtering is already in use, but the use of blacklists
causes problems. To quote:

--
Chris Bell