[Gllug] USB memory stick appears as two devices

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 23 20:03:30 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 14:09 +0000, John Winters wrote:
> I've just bought myself a new Kingston 1GB memory stick but get something
> slightly odd when I plug it into a computer - whether running Windows or
> Linux.  It appears as two devices; not even as two partitions on one
> device.
>
> Under linux it appears as sdb, with one partition sdb1, and as a CD device
> - scd0.  Similarly under Windows it appears as an extra CD drive and as a
> memory stick.
>
> This is a bit of a nuisance because it means there are always two devices
> to unmount each time I want to remove the stick.  Anyone know:
>
> 1) How it's done
>
> 2) How to stop it?
>
> It seems to be something to do with the U3 software which came
> (unannounced and unwanted) pre-installed on it.  It appears to be a sort
> of commercial version of PortableApps.
>
> Is there a way to tell the device to be just a memory stick and stop
> pretending to be a CD drive as well?
>
> TIA,
> John

I found the same thing with a 2 Gb San Disk stick I bought recently.
Since you have Windows available, www.u3.com/uninstall/ will remove the
junk and allow full use of the stick as a single device.  My San Disk
stick now has a slightly modified version of Elive on it, and is useful
as a recovery tool for virus-wrecked Windows installs!

Chris