[Gllug] ADSL2 router help / recomendation

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Wed Jan 24 09:51:02 UTC 2007

I am using both a Vigor 2600 and 2800 quite happily.
They are pricier than some of the other offerings, but seem very easy to
configure.   Support also seems rather better than with the cheapo routers.
A case of 'get what you pay for' I guess !

I have an ETEC router at home which uses the Texas integrated chip, which
works well and is cheap,  but does not appear to allow 'bridging' - it insists
on natting as far as I can figure out.    It seems that the TI based routers
vary in the way the embedded linux operating system is set up  - so some
clearly do allow a more flexible routing strategy than others.
The TI chip seems slightly better (in my experience) in processing the raw
ADSL signal on the line and acordibgly syncing at a slightly high speed in
some cases.        If you do go for a TI based router it would seem you need
to be very careful to check what routing configurations it permits.