[Gllug] ist that right that the Oyster card got RFID on it?

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Jan 16 11:36:19 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 11:04:25AM +0000, - Tethys wrote:
> On 1/16/07, John G Walker <johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Of course you can use your card. You're just charged four quid for the
> >'unreconciled' journey,
>
> s/four/six/ according to the letter I got from them for doing just
> that. Personally, I think I *did* touch in at the start of my journey,
> but they claim otherwise, and there's little I can do about it. That's
> one of the real downsides of Oyster -- it's just there word against
> yours.

Which is why you need cards that *you* own/control and so can then download
to your PC an audit log of when you did touch in/out.

The non repudiation problem again. This is why I won't do e-banking,
if I claim that I paid something and the bank then decides that I didn't
I get um-stuck for non payment/... I have asked the bank how to cope
with this - their only suggestion is for me to print out the web page
showing that I did it!
Until non repudiation is implemented I shall stick to paying my bills
over the counter - they seem to accept the little purple stamp as 100% proof
that something happened.

Non repudiation is quite easy to do: they just send a short message confirming
the transaction that is digitally signed by them - only they can sign it, so QED.

I suspect that they don't want to 'cos they could then be held liable for their
mistakes.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/