[Gllug] NHS opt out - IBM and the Nazis

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jan 29 19:17:39 UTC 2007

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:43:30 +0000 David Damerell
<damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> During WW2, the Nazis were easily able to identify Jews in the
> Netherlands thanks to... their national ID card.

While not fundamentally disagreeing with the point you're trying to
make, I must point out that the registration of Jews in the Netherlands
was introduced by the German occupation authorities. It was, however,
administered by the Dutch municipal authorities (who charged a guilder
per person for registration).

It was a text-book case of bureaucrats doing their jobs efficiently and
well (not so mentionon economically), without actually questioning the
purposes behind what they were doing,

--
 All the best,
 John