[Gllug] ist that right that the Oyster card got RFID on it?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Jan 17 13:43:47 UTC 2007

Matthew King wrote:
[snip]
> In fact I usually go through the gates faster with a paper ticket than
> others around me with an oyster. The only thing that slows me down is
> that the gates themselves do not open at the same speed at which I walk.

I think the design of the gates may have changed now, but when I used to
go to London a lot it was possible for a stream of people to pass
through the gates without them closing at all.  Provided each person put
his or her ticket in quickly enough after the previous one the gates
didn't bother to close and so a very high throughput could be
maintained.  It seemed to me to be a game for regular commuters to try
to avoid letting the gates close.

As an alternative design, a big NatWest building which I used to
frequent had tall barriers (about 5'?) which stood open all the time.
Provided you scanned your tag you could just walk through.  Only if
someone approached them without scanning did they slam shut.  This made
for very high throughput, which was needed because of the sheer number
of people who wanted to go in or out at the same time.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk