[Gllug] Advice needed please for secure access to Compressing Proxy service

James Roberts jr at stabilys.com
Fri Jan 26 16:38:16 UTC 2007

I did something quite stupid yesterday. I have dug myself out from under
  the resulting pile of poop (I hope) but would welcome advice as to how
to do it right.

I need to access the web generally and company stuff from a dial-up
account (no ADSL available) in Spain and mobile in France and Spain from
time to time.

So: I set up a compressing proxy server using ziproxy on a Bytemark
instance that I have available. I did this late last night and forgot to
turn it off before I went to bed: at 0800 I was mortified to see that it
was being used but not by me so killed and cleared it out.

Shortly after I received a very polite query from Bytemark about a
spamcop report concerning my address.

<thud><thud> oops need a new wall now.

Anyway, I need to set up some security before I turn this back on.

I could access tunnelling via SSH for the dial-up, but my mobile phone
client (Opera 6) does not have any way to do that I think.

I have googled around but don't really know what I am looking for so
have not found it. I can set a password in the ziproxy.conf but don't
see any way to manage that in the browser. As you can tell I am out of
my depth and paddling...

Has anyone any useful suggestions? TIA. <thud><thud> paddled into a wall

JR
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk