[Gllug] ist that right that the Oyster card got RFID on it?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Jan 16 19:59:17 UTC 2007

On 16 Jan 2007, Bruce Richardson said:

> On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 01:28:38PM +0000, Alain wrote:
>> > Ah well, now there's a point.  Why are the cash fares so expensive
>> > now?
>>
>> Trying to get everyone to adopt oyster. Since the difference is much greater
>> than any cost savings I suspect that there is another agenda in play.
>
> I don't think it's a huge secret that the long term hope is for Oyster
> to become an electronic money.

There are also efficiency concerns. Ticket gates using the old cardboard
tickets are *slower* than Oyster (about twice as slow by my
guesstimates, and much slower when a ticket fails scanning). Throughput
maximization on ticket gates in major stations at rush hour is a big
concern for LT.

> The banks have been cautioned for using penalty charges as a source of
> income and this does not compare.  The cost of a fare when bought via
> Oyster is a discount on the standard fare; the standard fare is not an
> explicit penalty.

The standard fare has gone up really quite a lot recently (well over
100% if you factor in a couple of years' rises). While much of this is a
desperate attempt to not go bankrupt despite the PFI disaster, perhaps
not all of it is...

--
`He accused the FSF of being "something of a hypocrit", which
 shows that he neither understands hypocrisy nor can spell.'