[Gllug] ist that right that the Oyster card got RFID on it?

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jan 16 22:44:02 UTC 2007

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 22:34:44 +0000 Mike Brodbelt
<mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> John G Walker wrote:
>
> > Incidentally, if you register on the internet you can see the
> > algorithm that they use to charge for journeys. When you touch in
> > at a tube station you get charged four pounds (the maximum for any
> > tube journey). When you touch out, you get a rebate of however much
> > you're owed. If you don't touch out (or if the system doesn't read
> > your card, or the transaction isn't recorded, or whatever) then you
> > don't get the rebate.
>
> What happens if the reader fails/you forget to touch in, but you do
> touch out correctly?

Then it charges you the four pounds and you don't get a rebate. This is
one of the problems, as I see it.

> Also, as a pre-pay user, another thing I've been stung by is going
> into a station, to be told soon after that the service is hopeless,
> and I should leave, walk to another station, and board there instead.
> If you touch in and out at the same station does it give you a zero
> charge? I think not personally, so last time this happened I didn't
> touch out when leaving station a, and nagged the guard to let me into
> station b without touching in (possibly made easier by the torrent of
> fed up commuters moving stations).

I've been bitten by that as well. It will give you, I think, a three
pound rebate (ie it costs you a quid to listen to a message telling you
that you should find an alternative route). If you create a fuss,
the person in the kiosk will add the pound back onto your card - that
is, if LfT haven't sacked all the station staff due to automation,

--
 All the best,
 John