[Gllug]

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 23 21:37:48 UTC 2007

John Winters wrote:
>> I'm currently building a Myth box, and am using an EPIA SP board. There
>> doesn't seem to be a problem getting 2 cards on the riser with that
>> board. Admittedly I can't go to three, but two isn't a problem. By using
>> the EPIA I get a box with hardware MPEG acceleration, and no moving
>> parts at all other than the hard drive (which is mounted in a damped
>> heat-sink assembly).
>
> What case are you using to give you room for 2 cards?

The Tranquil T2e - http://mini-itx.com/store/?c=28. I've got it with
120W external brick type PSU (fanless) and internal DC converter board.
The motherboard is thermally bonded to the case with a heatpipe system,
so there's no fan needed there either. Board in an EPIA SP13000, with
the CN400 chipset, which has MEG2 and MPEG4 acceleration. The MPEG4 is
unsupported (yet) but as the DVB-T cards deliver an MPEG2 stream the
board can apparently do full screen output for < 10% CPU utilisation. It
also does HDTV res (in theory).

The only other case I found that I really liked was the Serener GA-L01,
but it's more expensive, and I couldn't find a UK stockist. Details at
http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/cPath/23_62/products_id/500
if you're interested.

Mike