[Gllug] installing grub on the Mbr

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at ossified.net
Tue Jan 16 10:19:00 UTC 2007

> However, I think my problem may be elsewhere. I put Grub on
> a floppy and got a Grub prompt. Asking to boot Hd0,0 or Hd0,1
> (that's W2000 or Debian) puts me into the installed O/S. But,
> Hd0,4 or Hd0,5 do nothing. So, it seems the installations
> in extended partitions are not 'seen' by grub (I don't even
> get any error message - just a freeze).

Extended partitions aren't generally regarded as bootable, as I assume
the difference is that they are missing parts that primary partitions
have, but I admit that I've never tried it.

Booting across devices seems to be a bit of a black art anyway,
especially where Windows or SCSI is involved. I can usually make it work
with LILO (I detest GRUB for some reason), but only after many horrible
hours of failure :-)

I'd probably regard MBR installation as a last resort for machines which
won't work otherwise, as it's annoying to have to reinstate it after
other OSen destroy the MBR as part of a normal installation.

Ant

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk