[Gllug] ADSL2 router [Resolved]

Simon Perry gllug at si-designs.co.uk
Fri Jan 26 09:28:07 UTC 2007

James Roberts wrote:
 > Briefly, on the router:
>
> - you must turn off the firewall
> - set the LAN address to the router IP (set a static IP)
> - turn off NAT
> - optionally set up DHCP which must exactly match the IP block you have
> been assigned (this makes it easier to connect to admin it).

Thanks to the suggestions from James above and a lucky call to a clued
up tech at Zyxel I now have my P-660R modem passing my block of public
IP straight through to my firewall.

To recap

Log into the web admin for the router

Nat-> Network Address Translation = None

Lan-> TCP/IP
IP Address = As given as Router IP / default gateway by your ISP

IP Subnet = 255.255.225.248 (or whatever suits your range)
RIP Direction = None
Rip Version = None
Multicast = IGMP-v2

*You must then restart the Router and log into the web admin under the
new router IP*

Lan-> DHCP = none
Note: I did try to enter the public range but only got an error about
invalid addresses from the router.

*Restart the router again* browse the internet

Now my final hurdle was that although the connection worked fine whilst
I set it up on my workstation as soon as I swapped the cables to the
IPcop I could not get the IPcop to see the router. After some head
scratching I power cycled the router one more time and this allowed the
IPcop to see the router.

I now have a fast stable connection with all my VPN connection working.

Once again thanks to James and everyone else who made suggestions on
this thread.

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk