[Gllug] installing grub on the Mbr

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Tue Jan 16 17:07:54 UTC 2007

On 16 Jan 2007, Stephen Harker wrote:-

 >>john gennard wrote:

 >> However, I think my problem may be elsewhere. I put Grub on
 >> a floppy and got a Grub prompt. Asking to boot Hd0,0 or Hd0,1
 >> (that's W2000 or Debian) puts me into the installed O/S. But,
 >> Hd0,4 or Hd0,5 do nothing. So, it seems the installations

 >The Grub naming is not the same as the Linux kernel. I think you'll
 >find in your system that...

 >/dev/hda1 -> (hd0,0) Windows
 >/dev/hda2 -> (hd0,1) Debian
 >/dev/hda3 -> (hd0,2) Swap
 >/dev/hda5 -> (hd0,3) Ubuntu

 >etc.

 >Can you boot in to Knoppix from a CD and then run

 >fdisk -l /dev/hda

 >and let us know what it says please

 >Stephen

This is very interesting. You have correctly assumed what
fdisk shows as most of my partitions, and /dev/hda6 is the
Mepis installation. What I find interesting is that Ubuntu
decided that /dev/hda5 was Hd0,4 and Mepis gave /dev/hda6
as Hd0,5. At least, they offered me those for the Grub
config to go on the Mbr. Why, I wonder, should two distros
make a similar error.

I've been making some progress in creating Grub boot disks,
and now Debian-User has put me onto a package in Debian
(and therefore in Ubuntu) called 'Grub-disk' which can be
unpacked (it's zipped) and put onto a floppy. It provides
a Grub menu with some examples which can be edited to the
correct requirements and offers the option of a Mbr install.

I'll try with your amendments to see if I can boot Ubuntu
and Mepis and then have a go at using its Mbr installation
option.

Thanks for your interest and response.

Regards,

John.