[Gllug] USB memory stick appears as two devices

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Jan 23 20:50:44 UTC 2007

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 20:03:30 +0000 Christopher Hunter
> <chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 14:09 +0000, John Winters wrote:
>> > I've just bought myself a new Kingston 1GB memory stick but get
>> > something slightly odd when I plug it into a computer - whether
>> > running Windows or Linux.  It appears as two devices; not even as
>> > two partitions on one device.
>> >

>> I found the same thing with a 2 Gb San Disk stick I bought recently.
>
> So what's going on here? Anyone know why manufacturers are doing this?
> Presumably there must be some sort of advantage to someone, but I can't
> see it,

Presumably the advantage is to U3, who get to sell you extra software to
fit in with what's on your stick.

I've just been to have another look at Dabs's web site and discovered to
my annoyance that I've paid an extra 2 quid per stick for software that I
don't want.  I selected the cheapest Kingston 1GB sticks which I could see
(theoretically sorted in price order) but now I look again there's a
cheaper one which doesn't have the U3 software on.  OTOH, the price of the
one which I bought has changed too, so perhaps the other wasn't there when
I ordered.

Why you have to pay extra for the privilege of later being able to buy
more software is a puzzle though.  I think I'll stick with PortableApps.
They're free and they don't try (and fail) to do clever things every time
you shove the stick into a USB port.

John