[Gllug] OSS Spam filtering, virus scanning email solutions

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 4 15:15:11 UTC 2007

On Thu 04 Jan, John G Walker wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 14:03:14 +0000 (GMT) Chris Bell
> <chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

> >    Your reply talked about sending mail to, not receiving mail from,
> > journalists.
>
> No it didn't.
>

> Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 12:03:37 +0000
> From: John G Walker <johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [Gllug] OSS Spam filtering, virus scanning email solutions
> To: Greater London Linux User Group <gllug at gllug.org.uk>

> say that it was the subscriber's responsibility to ensure that emails
> sent to them would get through. In other words, if emails I sent to
> them got blocked they forfeited their subscription.

   which does not assist with the problem faced by the OP who was trying to
avoid blocking legitimate incoming emails, whatever the originating address.
   A similar problem can exist if someone has to use a facility provided by
their hotel. It may be a temporary location that is infected with some
unknown worm or virus. Another example would be an exhibition centre such as
Olympia, where there is a resident block allocation for use of the stand
holders, but that block of addresses is well known and subject to continuous
attack. Anything sourced from there could trigger a spamblock, which could
again make a normal blacklist give a false positive.

--
Chris Bell