[Gllug] Re: Abit NF7

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Fri Jan 5 00:37:18 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 08:06:33AM +0000, Mark Williams wrote:
> One other late thought - Someone (including me) must have a POST-card in your
> neighbourhood. This plugs into a PCI slot & gives debug info on LED numerics,
> for anyone who doesn't know.
> No idea where you are...

Indeed, I think I might have one (SE1), if you would find it useful. I
don't know if I have a list of what the codes mean though, and since
most boot failures of new kit are probably either:

1) RAM
2) Dead CPU
3) RAM
4) PSU not giving sufficient or stable enough power
5) RAM
6) Poorly-seated cards
7) RAM
8) Cables plugged in the wrong way around (harder to do these days as
   unkeyed IDC connectors are rare)
9) Did I mention RAM?

That is, assuming the motherboard itself isn't dodgy...

POST cards may well help pinpoint the error, but your best bet is
perhaps sourcing alternate parts (find someone who can spare one for a
while!) and try swapping components out. With a bit of luck, only one
item's causing your problems :)