[Gllug] NHS opt out - IBM and the Nazis

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Jan 26 19:57:54 UTC 2007

On 26 Jan 2007, Chris Jones outgrape:
> Jason Clifford wrote:
>> My understanding is that Godwin does not apply is the reference is
>> actually relevant to the discussion.
>
> You can't seriously think that the NHS trying to make a national
> database (something our government utterly, utterly sucks at, so there's
> no reason to assume it will even happen) is in any way relevant to IBM
> making databases for the Nazis?!

During the Second World War the UK had mandatory ID cards, no less.
Nonetheless with a sufficiently educated eye it is *possible* to see
differences between the government of Churchill and that of Hitler.

(Sheesh.)

> I see from this thread that some of you are mostly composed of paranoia,
> but even so that's a pretty silly thing to say and probably quite
> offensive to relatives of those persecuted by the Nazis.

I dunno, as a member of said class I just find it ludicrous. The problem
isn't that ID cards will Instantly Turn Us Into Nazis: the UK government
isn't composed of Nazis and wouldn't be even if by some amazing
mischance the BNP managed to get into power (we'd come to see a superb
example of the civil service, military, judiciary, and police
stonewalling their political masters for years, is all). The problem is
that *in the future* some government *could* find in them a tool of
universal tracking, which *could* greatly assist campaigns of
persecution, and that *right now* that database makes a very tempting
target for criminals of all stripes...

> Don't get me wrong, I'm seriously opposed to the ID card scheme and
> large databases in general, but I like to think I can come up with more
> cogent arguments against them than strawmen about how the Nazis had a
> database.

Quite so.

--
`The serial comma, however, is correct and proper, and abandoning it will
surely lead to chaos, anarchy, rioting in the streets, the Terrorists