[Gllug] ist that right that the Oyster card got RFID on it?

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 14:38:42 UTC 2007

On 1/16/07, John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:

> It's not the tickets which incur the expense - it's handling the cash.
>
> The current ticket machines have to be emptied of cash, which then has to
> be transported, counted, resolved and banked.

Errr... correct. The current ticket machines being the ones that most
people use to top up their Oyster cards, usually with cash. So the
cost of doing it is still there. Slightly reduced, perhaps, to account
for people paying by card[1], and the fact that people top up in
larger quantities in one go. But you still need staff to fill/empty
the machines, count, transport and bank the cash, etc. That's not
going to go away, with or without Oyster.

Tet

[1] Of course, you've been able to pay for a paper ticket by card for
some time now, too, but I suspect it's more common for Oyster.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk