[Gllug] Video capture

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Tue Jan 16 22:38:15 UTC 2007

Hi

Simon Perry wrote:
> My TV card is a Instant TV DVB-T PCI (PTV-334) which is supported and
> working in so far as I can watch Digital TV. The card has S-VHS and
> composite in but I am totally lost as to how to use those functions to

Unless the card has a hardware mpeg encoder you may find that the
capture performance is distinctly underwhelming. PCI is fine for
blitting the raw video to a graphics card or reading an mpeg stream (DVB
is only about 5Mbs maximum), but trying to get the raw video out and
encoded and onto disk can be quite painful.
My previous TV card was an analogue WinTV and I could only just about
capture a QCIF type resolution at 15fps. To be fair though that was
quite some time ago.

But as was suggested in another reply, fire up some (probably aimed at
analogue) TV viewing software and switch to the Composite/SVHS input.

Cheerio,
--
Chris Jones
  cmsj at tenshu.net