[Gllug] Mactel Linux problem - Save my marriage :)

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 27 19:02:59 UTC 2007

On Fri 27 Jul, Panos Savvas wrote:

> Finally I tried wiping the entire disk using a kde based live cd, ensuring
> the partition table is deleted (i.e. one 111Gb block of
> unpartitioned/unformated disk). Therefore there is no OSx on the system
> anymore.
>
> The mac cd installer now (predictably) sees no disk at all, at so I cannot
> install OSX again :)
>

> >   From what I have read, Debian uses the Mac Boot facility for the
> > particular version of Mac.

   That Mac Boot facility could be Apple copyright, so may need to be
supplied by Apple. Debian will not supply any software with restrictions
like that, but could provide additional tools to be able to use it, or a
working alternative. You really need to read the relevant Debian
installation instructions, they may warn that you should preserve a Mac
partition near the beginning of the disc space.
   I understand that some hardware requires a completely clean new disc
before partitioning and formatting, but I do not know whether that applies
to Apple. If it is the case, the disc manufacturer may have a downloadable
facility.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk