[Gllug] A few words on the topic of stock spam

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Mon Jul 16 20:57:03 UTC 2007

Hi

Bruce Richardson wrote:
> Because, of course, there's no such thing as IM Spam.

There are a variety of potential strategies for this. I only accept IM
messages from people on my contact list, but you could do all kinds of
things; Maybe you want to require a turing test, maybe you want you want
to accept everything and run it through spam-fighting filters, etc.

I'm not at all suggesting that the current UI paradigms prevalent in IM
clients are well suited to the task, but they will evolve.
IM networks (especially Jabber-a-likes) do the same basic thing as
email, but with newer features (especially presence).

(FWIW, the Telepathy project is working on making IM a more pervasive
experience. There has been some work to show status of your contacts in
Evolution so you can choose to quickly IM them if they are online
instead of sending mail)

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones