[Gllug] Observed speed of gigabit ethernet only about 1/4 or 1/5 of advertised

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Jul 16 15:16:57 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 02:14:25PM +0100, Kostas Georgiou wrote:
> >   Switch:
> >
> >     Netgear GS105 5-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch
>
> I am pretty sure I've seen speeds above 800Mbit/sec on this switch
> so the problem isn't there. Connecting the machines directly will
> easilly tell you if this is the case.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I'm getting 515 Mbps in one direction and still a measly 196 Mbps in
the other.  It appears that it isn't the switch (which is good,
because I won't need to send it back), but it is one or other of the
network cards or the driver.  That's about the limit of my abilities
to test because these are the only two machines in the house with
gigabit ethernet.

> The nvidia NIC should be connected to a bus that can handle gigabit
> speeds but I am not sure about the quality of the driver, as always
> nvidia hasn't released any info and the driver is the result of reverse
> engineering the nvidia binary module. I think most of the problems
> on the driver have been fixed now but you never know.

Apparently NVidia are now contributing to the forcedeth driver and
have dropped their own driver.  Horray for free software ...
http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/03/04/the-forcedeth-story/

Rich.

--
Richard Jones