[Gllug] Observed speed of gigabit ethernet only about 1/4 or 1/5 of advertised

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 15 07:45:47 UTC 2007

Richard Jones wrote:
> Hi, I've just got a new gigabit ethernet switch to replace my ancient
> 10 Mbps home switch.  The old switch easily maxed out at 10 Mbps.
>
> With the other ports on the switch idle and two machines connected
> through gigabit ethernet, I'm seeing 220 Mbps with ssh.  That's about
> a quarter of what I'd expect to be the theoretical maximum.
> Surprisingly with ttcp it's slower -- 170 Mbps, or about one fifth of
> the theoretical max.  With UDP it's little better -- 195 Mbps.
>
> I wonder if someone can suggest from the description below where the
> weak point is likely to be in this setup.  Crappy on-board ethernet?
> SoHo switch?  PCI bus or processor speeds?  Or does everyone with
> gigabit ethernet only see a fraction of the advertised throughput?

I've had machines running at close to wire speed, but for that level of
performance you tend to need to tweak things a bit. CPU load on the host
is significant, and the quality of the network drivers can be variable -
  I saw CPU use halve between two kernel releases with the Intel e1000
driver, for example.

Have a look at http://www-didc.lbl.gov/TCP-tuning/linux.html as well,
many of the sysctl's default to values that aren't suitable for GigE
connected machines, especially if link latency is and higher than LAN speed.

HTH,

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk