[Gllug] OT - Booting XP to commandline

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Sun Jul 22 00:15:24 UTC 2007

Paul Cupis wrote:
> Dylan wrote:
>
>> I'm doing some maintenance to a friend's Win-XP-Pro machine, and need to boot
>> to a DOS interface if possible. I remember being ablr to use a function key
>> at boot time, but for the life of me cannot figure out how to do it right
>> now.
>>

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
>

>> Any hints? Basically, I need to copy the Documents and Settings from the C
>> drive to a newly installed data drive to recover disk space and since Windows
>> acesses several of the relevant files it will not let me copy them ... Using
>> a Linux boot CD is not an option since all drives are formatted NTFS
>> unfortunately.
>>

> Modern Linux live CDs can read NTFS, some can write NTFS.

The settings for the location of the profiles is in this registry key
and its subkeys.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

That key's contents are used to tell windows where the profiles are and
has been set differently in nt (c:/profiles) xp & 2k (c:/documents and
settings) and vista (c:/users {I think})

In theory you could change the content to change where the profiles are
stored.

My reservation about this is that there are probably some assumptions
made in various bits of code about the location of the profiles. So even
though you may change the registry correctly and move the data, some
bits of code may not read the registry properly and follow the rules to
find where things are and so will assume that the profile is on C:/ even
though its been moved somewhere else. This might be especially true if
you just move one users profile and plan to leave the others behind.

Also on a running system, as you point out, several files in a profile
are open. Especially ntuser.dat, so moving the profile may need some
care and possibly a cd system that can write NTFS.

It is, however, pretty easy to move a users "My Documents" folder
somewhere else. I often shift that on to a samba network share in order
to get roaming profiles and also to get the data backed up on a server.

*nix is so much easier

:-)

Ken

believed to be clean.