[Gllug] Hello from Cape Town

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 19:11:38 UTC 2007

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 17:28:59 +0100 "Pete Stean"
<peteste at googlemail.com> wrote:

> What I'm surprised I haven't seen in the analysis on the news is
> whether the dramatic shift in the orientation of the jetstream above
> europe that's causing us to get swamped in warm, wet air is a unique
> event, and if it might persist and become a permanent feature in its
> new position.

That's because they don't know.

> Thank god for the thames barrier is all I can say...

As someone else pointed out, the Thames Barrier is not much use in
these circumstances. It's designed to prevent too much water getting in
from the North Sea, not to make water coming down from Oxford get out to
the North Sea faster,

--
 All the best,
 John