[Gllug] [OT] Re: cheap disk source

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Wed Jul 25 09:36:03 UTC 2007

Going slightly off topic on this one,
for high end parallel filesystems we supply and support Panasas
(I've recently done their systems support engineer course).

www.panasas.com
Object-oriented filesystem, which writes files across the storage
cluster as either RAID0 (for small files) or RAID5 (larger files).
It scales like nobodys business, as you can add further storage blades
and director blades (metadata servers) to spread the load.

The relevance to uptime is that if you include three director blades in
the system, they can be formed into a high-availability cluster.

We also have Lustre installations, with failover metadata servers, too
so we aren't one-size-fits-all.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk