[Gllug] ADSL Puzzle

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Thu Jul 5 14:30:12 UTC 2007

Hi, I know that there are some folks here who have a in-depth
understanding of how ADSL works. I'm trying to get a grip on a situation
that has developed.

Following a power fail the ADSL link did not return. Looking closer,
the ATM part is working showing 1152K down and 288K up. The noise
margins are 30 db up and 29db down. All very good. But the PPPoA
connection is never getting established. The login credentials have been
checked, double checked with the ISP and still no joy.

The power fail in the area was fairly widespread and could have affected
the BT exchange too. Does all their gear still run from 48V batteries
these days?

 From here I'm not sure how things work. Seemingly, a bit of BT
equipment claims that there was a failed login just after 8:00 this
morning. Correspondingly the ISP's Radius server shows that login
attempt as successful. Subsequent to that, I tried a different ADSL
router with good and, as a test, bad login credentials. There were no
traces of the login attempts from that router late AM today. The ISP say
the line checks out OK and they can 'see' my alternative router and
subsequently the original one on the end of the line.

So, it seems to me that finding out why BT's gear says the login failed
and the ISP's Radius says it was successful seems to be the heart of the
matter. How can that be? I'm assuming a message is returned by the
Radius saying something like 'those credentials are good let the
connection proceed'.

Or is this beyond hope and time to de-provision the circuit and
re-provision it with a different ISP?

Any enlightenment most welcome.....

Thanks

Ken