[Gllug] Ecommerce solutions

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Mon Jul 23 12:10:43 UTC 2007

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, - Tethys wrote:

> Does anyone have any recommendations for ecommerce solutions for a small
> business? Something like Zen Cart with SecPay/WorldPay/whatever? Or
> would I be better off going with a hosted solution (Yahoo Store, PayPal
> shops, etc.)? The biggest single requirement is the ability to accept
> credit card payments without incurring exhorbitant costs to do so.
>
> It'll be for a relatively small throughput site, so I can probably
> accept paying a bit more per transaction to avoid high setup and or
> ongoing monthly fees. For a hosted solution, I'm quite happy to point a
> subdomain (e.g., shop.example.com) at an IP provided by the hosting
> company, but I'm not going to give them control of my DNS, as some seem
> to require...

What type of business - selling what (products or services)?

Expected monthly turnover?

Expected level of returns?

Google is a very cheap payment method right now (free until 2008 and then
only 1.5% + 15p). Paypal is another fairly cheap one (3.4% + 20p down to
1.9% + 20p depending upon turnover). Both are free to setup. You can use
something like Zen or OSCommerce with either.

Depending upon what you are selling you might also benefit from writing
your own integration which is fairly easy with either.

WorldPay is expensive.

I have no experience of outsourcing.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG		     Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/	       up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk