[Gllug] ADSL Puzzle

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jul 6 05:51:46 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 21:45 +0100, Ken Smith wrote:

> The deal with the ISP is that they provide the router. Their diagnosis
> is that the existing one is shot and the one they are sending in the
> post will fix everything. I suspect they will find out differently
> tomorrow. We'll see.

It's not impossible - I've had an inordinate number of modems fail in
the last few days.  These have been either killed by lightning or by
mains spikes (probably also caused by lightning).

We have modems on POTS lines and on private (often 4-wire) circuits.
There are several different types of modem in use, and all show
differing symptoms when damaged this way - some of the 4-wire ones lose
transmission in one direction (which way seems to be random), some of
the POTS ones permanently busy the line, others fail to detect ringing,
others detect ringing, answer by have no tones....

BT have had huge problems with damage to exchange equipment too.  The
lightning storms over the last few days have done huge amounts of
damage.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk