[Gllug] Hello from Cape Town

James Roberts jr at stabilys.com
Thu Jul 26 00:37:22 UTC 2007

Pete Stean wrote:
> What I'm surprised I haven't seen in the analysis on the news is whether
> the dramatic shift in the orientation of the jetstream above europe
> that's causing us to get swamped in warm, wet air is a unique event, and
> if it might persist and become a permanent feature in its new position.

I have heard it's because of el Nino:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2007/pr20070104.html

(but I'm not a meteorologist just a sailor).

> If that's the case then 2007 marks a tipping point for a particularly
> large feature of the weather system  (which a lot of the scientists hav
> been warning us might happen for quite a while now).

I doubt it's a tipping point. I suspect it's just the increased energy
in the system (for whatever reasons) means that the formally-chaotic
weather systems are getting pushed towards bifurcation points and so the
erratic-ness(?) of the weather is increasing.

But what do I know. Nada :)

MeJ

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk