[Gllug] Microsoft was distributing Ubuntu

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Sun Jul 1 10:22:22 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 02:23:29AM +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> Since the new hard drive in the box was much bigger than the old one, I
> suggested that he might like to try a dual-boot.  I had an Ubuntu disk
> with me, and installed and configured it for him.  All the hardware was
> handled straight away without intervention, and it was the work of a few
> moments to add the other users and their passwords.  The whole, fully
> working Ubuntu install took just under half an hour!

You're comparing apples & oranges somewhat... XP was released when?
2002? 5 years ago, I would have expected to spend quite some time
fiddling around with a Linux install too.

There would have been no SATA support, probably no to little wifi, poor
gigE support, a lack of decent auto hardware detection (no hotplug/udev,
etc).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk