[Gllug] Best practice: Multiple sub-netting/NAT

DL Neil GLLUG at getaroundtoit.co.uk
Fri Jul 27 16:59:08 UTC 2007

Sorry Bruce, but we're not all Network Admins/experts - and hence need
to ask questions to learn... Please feel free to correct my use of
terminology.

The question was not about sub-net numbering, but since you ask
192.168.0.0 and 192.168.1.0.

The first question was whether the two sub-nets could be combined into
one. I didn't think so, but 'someone' said it could and don't know if
he knows what he is talking about. Playing with it and reading up on
the subject for a few hours this morning didn't get me anywhere. As
you say, lacking the technical level of understanding I am asking for
assistance from wiser minds or perhaps someone has faced this exact
situation...

Thereafter I assume the sub-net MASK would have to change (from
256.256.256.0) because addresses which are masked are on the LAN (and
thus don't go out throught the router) whereas those which are not
should be routed.

Is it a quiz Ant? No sorry. All you could win would be my gratitude.

Regards,
=dn

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk